Bufferbloat related censorship at Virgin Media

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 00:14:33 UTC 2015

On Sun, Mar 1, 2015 at 4:04 PM, Jack Bates <jbates at paradoxnetworks.net> wrote:
> On 3/1/2015 5:28 PM, Dave Taht wrote:
>>

>> My IP address is apparently now banned from accessing your site at
>> all, for "advertising", on this thread:
>>

>> http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Up-to-152Mb/Bufferbloat-High-Latency-amp-packet-loss-when-connection/td-p/2773495
>>

> I don't see how codel is related to the customer complaint from their
> perspective. The problem appears to be high latency on downstream with
> little to no upstream. I'd probably call it off-topic advertising. The only
> thing that seems to relate to codel is the user's use of bufferbloat in the
> topic. Nothing the user can do will fix the downstream to my knowledge. Not
> that I'm extremely knowledgeable on the subject.

It is 100% possible to fix excessive downstream buffering from some
misconfigured device with a shaper on the download  *on the CPE or
home router*.

I have been doing that for 15 years. So has everyone that uses nearly
any of the shapers that are available for Linux, at least.

http://burntchrome.blogspot.com/2014_05_01_archive.html

doing it yourself, right, requires a good measurement, and you lose
just a little bit of single-flow bandwidth - typically 5% - but you
get it all back with faster tcp ramp up times, huge improvements in
dns lookups, voip, gaming, and other traffic.

it generally works way better than policers do.

--
Dave Täht
Let's make wifi fast, less jittery and reliable again!

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107942175615993706558/posts/TVX3o84jjmb