Verizon Policy Statement on Net Neutrality

Måns Nilsson mansaxel at besserwisser.org
Sun Mar 1 12:20:28 UTC 2015

Subject: Re: Verizon Policy Statement on Net Neutrality Date: Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 05:25:41PM -0600 Quoting Jack Bates (jbates at paradoxnetworks.net):
> On 2/27/2015 5:09 PM, Måns Nilsson wrote:
> >What people want, at least once thay have tasted it, is optical
> >last mile. And not that PON shit. The real stuff or bust.
>
> Yeah. Then they complain when a tornado wipes out their power and
> they can't make a phone call.

Given the state of the partially deregulated phone system and people
tending to depend on DECT phones, that is a non-dividing issue, in a
lot of cases. Me, I keep a landline with a rotary phone.

> It's hard to get DSL in some places in the country. Fiber? ha!

The current state of the affairs in rural / semi-rural USA is not the
standard we should strive for. Focusing too hard on the limitations
appearing as inherent to the casual observer will choke developement.
We can look at that techno-echonomical situation and use it as a starting
point, but nothing else.

(were I more of an entreprenour I'd look at "no DSL available" as a
 golden opportunity to get lots of fibre customers. Not replacing
 copper but augmenting it also solves the distress problem. That or a
 12V battery to power the Ethernet converter and the ATA Box.)

--
Måns Nilsson     primary/secondary/besserwisser/machina
MN-1334-RIPE                             +46 705 989668