symmetric vs. asymmetric [was: Verizon Policy Statement on Net Neutrality]

Lyndon Nerenberg lyndon at orthanc.ca
Sun Mar 1 03:26:48 UTC 2015

On Feb 28, 2015, at 7:17 PM, Barry Shein <bzs at world.std.com> wrote:

> I remember when downloading still images (dial-up days) was considered
> bandwidth hogging and only something very few people did. Of course no
> one did it, it took minutes to download even a rather small image and
> there was little market for image-oriented software (other than porn.)

That was 1992-4ish?  I helped spin up early ISPs back then.  The traffic analysis we did at the time showed the porn crowd came out after dark and left at sunrise.  And they were facing self-limiting servers that could not keep up with the demand anyway, so the 'average' customer base wasn't affected.

This crossed a pair of ISPs each backed by a single T1 trunk to "the internet" and two T1 channel banks for the dialup pool.  Not quite "The World" but it was big time stuff for where we were.