symmetric vs. asymmetric [was: Verizon Policy Statement on Net Neutrality]

Barry Shein bzs at world.std.com
Sun Mar 1 03:17:11 UTC 2015

On March 1, 2015 at 09:46 marka at isc.org (Mark Andrews) wrote:

 > Home users should be able to upload a content in the same amount
 > of time it takes to download content.  It doesn't matter if they
 > only do this occasionally.  Without symetric speeds they can't do
 > this.  They are being given a slow path.
 >
 > Arguing otherwise is like saying that their time is not important.
 >
 > Yes, that capacity is sitting idle most of the time but so what!
 > We really should be delivering connections where link speed is not
 > the limiting factor.

Yes, good point, the "occasional" argument would better apply to
asymmetric up/down monthly bandwidth caps than bandwidth limitations.

But I still think it's push/pull.

I remember when downloading still images (dial-up days) was considered
bandwidth hogging and only something very few people did. Of course no
one did it, it took minutes to download even a rather small image and
there was little market for image-oriented software (other than porn.)

--
        -Barry Shein

Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Dial-Up: US, PR, Canada