ARIN just subdivided their last /17, /18, /19, /20, /21 and /22. Down to only /23s and /24s now. : ipv6

Ricky Beam jfbeam at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 20:43:15 UTC 2015

On Tue, 30 Jun 2015 10:28:13 -0400, Justin M. Streiner
<streiner at cluebyfour.org> wrote:
> There are still isolated pockets of devices out there speaking IPX,
> DECnet, Appletalk, etc

Indeed. I'm one of them. (rarely) ... IPX managed print server. It speaks
IP, but cannot be managed by IP. I'd throw it away, but it functions as a
two port serial terminal server as well. (2 parallel, 2 serial)

I don't have any true appletalk (or localtalk!) hardware anymore. But I
know where there's a palet of them. :-)

I still have MCA token-ring cards for an RS/6000 (and the RS/6000.) I'm
just waiting for the NCDOT to need one to recoup a wad of tax money.

> or their traffic passes through other devices that encapsulate and
> de-encapsulate it in IP to allow it to be transported.

Ahhhh, the "internet in a box" IPX-IP gateway device. God, how we hated
those things. But some companies refused to install an IP stack, 'tho
they'd install the IPX "IP app" suite. (late '90s)