GRE performance over the Internet - DDoS cloud mitigation

Dennis B infinityape at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 18:37:55 UTC 2015

Depends on what performance considerations you are trying to address,
technically.

The question is how can we guarantee the GRE/BGP performance (control
traffic) during the time between detection and mitigation?

GRE decapsulation?
IE: Hardware vs Software?
Routing of the Protocol over the internet?
IE: If the inbound path is saturated, what is the availability of the GRE
tunnel?
User-experience with GRE packet overhead?
IE: TCP Fragmentation causing PMTUD messages for reassembly?

I've worked at Prolexic for 7 years and now Akamai for 1.4 yrs, post
acquisition.

Immediately, I can think of multiple scenarios' (3) that come to mind on
how to solve any one of these categories.

Would you like to learn more? lol

DB