Trusted Networks Initiative: DDoS fallback set of AS'es

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Tue Jun 30 00:10:09 UTC 2015

> On Apr 16, 2015, at 3:58 AM, David Hofstee <david at mailplus.nl> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I saw the following and thought it would be interesting to share. In case of a persistent DDoS an ASy can fallback to a small set of (more trustable) AS'es for their routing:
> http://www.trustednetworksinitiative.nl/

It is indeed an interesting proposal, though not one that’s perhaps fully informed of the intricacies of commercial routing economics.

Two things worthy of note for this audience, I think:

First, I don’t know that anyone is expecting networks that do not consider themselves to be principally Dutch in nationality to participate.

Second, this is a proposal of the Hague Security Delta, which is, in essence, a group of think-tanks.  It is not a proposal of the Dutch government, nor of the Dutch Internet Service Providers.  That is not intended to speak to the merit of the proposal, which has both good and bad points.  Just to indicate that it is neither a home-grown ISP thing, nor something the Dutch government is mandating or advocating.

                                -Bill