How long will it take to completely get rid of IPv4 or will it happen at all?

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Sun Jun 28 16:34:22 UTC 2015

.
> > This is kind of like asking when we will stop using ethernet framing (ethernet was designed for a 3Mbps transmission rate)
> > yet we are deploying 100Gbps networks.  Still stuck on that 1500byte limitation.  When can we get rid of that?
>
> Many networks have
 It’s called “Jumbo Frames”

Unfortunately, enough people do things to break PMTU Discovery that it's not
usually feasible to send jumbograms outside your directly controlled networks.
So you may actually have jumbogram support all the way one end to the other,
but you can't rely on it and have to throttle back to 1500 (or even smaller)
in self-defense....