ARIN just subdivided their last /17, /18, /19, /20, /21 and /22. Down to only /23s and /24s now. : ipv6

Lyndon Nerenberg lyndon at orthanc.ca
Sat Jun 27 17:23:27 UTC 2015

On Jun 27, 2015, at 5:35 AM, Rafael Possamai <rafael at gav.ufsc.br> wrote:

> How long do you think it will take to completely get rid of IPv4? Or is it
> even going to happen at all?

IPX ruled the roost, very popularly, for a little while.  How long did it take to die?  Why did it die?  What were the triggers that pushed it over the cliff?  I think there's a lot to be learned from that piece of recent history.  Specifically, as a demonstration of how a "most popular" protocol can find itself ejected from the arena in the blink of an eye.  I knew several people who built their career path on the assumptions of IPX.  Ouch.

--lyndon