World's Fastest Internet™ in Canadaland

Joe Abley jabley at hopcount.ca
Fri Jun 26 23:26:54 UTC 2015

On 26 Jun 2015, at 15:04, Hank Disuko wrote:

> Bell Canada is apparently gearing up to provide the good people of
> Toronto with the World's Fastest Internet™.
> http://www.thestar.com/news/city_hall/2015/06/25/bell-canada-to-give-toronto-worlds-fastest-internet.html

Bell Canada is in the business of defending the current regulatory
regime from claims that internet speeds are slow, or that investment by
incumbents in the last mile is lacking, or that it ought to be required
to share its access network with competitors. Read the press with that
context in mind.

There's cooperative, rural broadband in the UK [1] that offers 10G
access to farms at a lower price than Bell charges for some satellite TV
bundles. I don't think anybody need waste any cycles persuading other
people here that the "fastest internet" claims are not aligned precisely
with the kind reality you find even on this list.

Joe

[1] http://b4rn.org.uk