Re: World's Fastest Internet™ in Canadaland

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Jun 26 22:17:28 UTC 2015

It’s not just about the transfer rate, though.

As has been noted, response times at peak congestion are definitely faster if you have more bandwidth.

So if you’ve got 3 kids all wanting to stream different HD5k content, 50Mbits is going to get interesting.
100Mbps will probably handle it with enough of a jitter buffer. 10G you can probably play instant on
and let the jitter buffer build while playing the first few seconds.

There are a number of other tactics that can improve user experience with more bandwidth than is needed
for the long-term average.

Average transfer rate is a silly way to measure anticipated user experience, as has been pointed out by
others.

Owen