Re: World's Fastest Internet™ in Canadaland

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Fri Jun 26 22:15:54 UTC 2015

On 26/Jun/15 23:56, Mark Andrews wrote:

> Unfortunately ISP's have made it about link speed rather than what
> it really is about because link speed was the limiting factor.

When 1Gbps becomes mainstream to the home, I think it will stop being
about link speed (well, for a while anyway, because who knows...).

As others have mentioned, a single device pulling 1Gbps in the home is
asking a lot, even if it were connected to the home router via
copper/fibre. As most devices in the home will be wi-fi-based, 1Gbps is
safe (for now). Of course, more devices in the home will put pressure on
1Gbps, but not before they put pressure on the wi-fi network. So again,
1Gbps is safe, for now.

The wired devices that could draw on that 1Gbps big time will be the
STB's, gaming consoles (even those use wi-fi), home media servers,
e.t.c. Depending on what one does with those, they may or may not draw
much from the 1Gbps fibre coming into the house.

Even if the service provider was dropping a 1080p or 4K IPTv Multicast
stream into 3x STB's in the home (one for the living room, one for the
man-cave and another random one in the house), and each STB had at least
two tuners (watch on one tuner, record from another tuner), you're still
looking at less than 120Mbps for all 3x STB's running + recording
simultaneously, assuming each tuner is pulling 20Mbps when active. Of
course, with 2015 families not glued to their Tv's as much as previous
generations did, that is less demand for classic Tv.

So all in all, with 1Gbps, there is a reasonable chance that, at the
very least, the connection between the home and the nearest service
provider switch will be utilitarian. The problem now is, who gets that
1Gbps link to their house, around the world?

Mark.