Re: World's Fastest Internet™ in Canadaland

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Fri Jun 26 21:56:03 UTC 2015

In message <CAJB2g-H2cccqUD7_BhpoyDo+BeYSyZpy+js2P+hJ6RUk0QX-hQ at mail.gmail.com>
, Rafael Possamai writes:
> How does one fully utilize a gigabit link for home use? For a single person
> it is overkill. Similar to the concept of price elasticity in economics,
> going from 50mbps to 1gbps doesn't necessarily increase your average
> transfer rate, at least I don't think it would for me. Anyone care to
> comment? Just really curious, as to me it's more of a marketing push than
> anything else, even though gigabit to the home sounds really cool.

Overkill is good provided it doesn't cost too much more.  You want
the connection speed to not be a limitation on what you are trying
to do.  1G does that at a good price point these days.  At some
point in the future 1G will seem slow and there will be a new speed
that stops the link speed being the limitation.

You don't think about the size of power lines coming into a house
as they are overkill for just about anything you will do in the
house.

You don't think about the size of water pipes coming into a house
as they are overkill for just about anything you will do in the
house.  Very occasionally you will want to connect directly to the
mains (filling a pool) but otherwise the pipe is more that sufficient.

The worry should be over the gigabytes transfered, the kilowatthours
and the kilolitres consumed which are the actual resources being
delivered.

Unfortunately ISP's have made it about link speed rather than what
it really is about because link speed was the limiting factor.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org