Re: World's Fastest Internet™ in Canadaland

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Fri Jun 26 21:31:56 UTC 2015

On 26/Jun/15 23:11, mikea wrote:
> Define "need". On the average, I probably don't need more than 56 KBaud,
> integrated over all the years I've been linked to the 'Net from home. Would I
> be willing to put up with it? Hell, no! Would I be willing to put up with 10
> Gig to the house for what I'm paying now? Emphatically yes.
>
> Ditto 1 Gig. What I'm getting isn't more than 10 megabit down and 2.5 up, so a
> fatter pipe would be very welcome. At the same price, or even another $50/month.
>
> But I don't need it in the sense that I'll lose money or customers if I don't
> have it.

Assuming a service provider is looking to stay in business by delivering
more services on top of your garden variety Net, then considering the
quality of the pipe coming into the home is the first thing.

If I built an FTTH network (which would be Active-E, in my case), I'd
deliver 1Gbps to every home. This does not mean I am going to sell 1Gbps
of Internet access bandwidth to that home. It just means I have 1Gbps of
bandwidth into the home. And what can I do with that?

    - I can sell classic Net.
    - I can sell classic Voice.
    - I can sell classic Tv.
    - I can sell Streaming Tv.
    - I can sell VoD.
    - e.t.c.

When I market to my customers, I don't market "You have 1Gbps in your
home. Now go make babies." I market the services I will be able to
deliver over that bandwidth. If an ISP can deliver 1Gbps into the home,
why limit thinking to conventions around bandwidth? Customers only care
about bandwidth if it's getting in the way. Otherwise, all they want to
know is how many VoD streams they can enjoy in 1080p, how many
concurrent iPads and laptops in the house they can download a full movie
on in 5 minutes, how many sports channels come in the Tv package, and
whether they get flat-rate for international voice calls.

The bandwidth - well, that is a given. You have to deliver all those
services somehow... 1Gbps is just a port on a switch; it's not that big
a deal.

Mark.