Re: World's Fastest Internet™ in Canadaland

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Fri Jun 26 18:55:33 UTC 2015

On Fri, 26 Jun 2015, jim deleskie wrote:

> Its mostly marketing, a number of years ago I worked for a cable co, we
> knew if we increased BW X we'd see a Y speed increase in usage.  We also
> has done the math on several future generations of upgrades, so we'd
> know if "phone company" increases to A we'd move to B.  I know the guy
> that did the math for us then, he still sits in that job so I assume he
> still does similar I suspect any cable so worth their salt does the
> same.

After you increase the download speed above a certain threshold, it's my
experience that total data per month doesn't increase more than marginally
with speed increase. As soon as access speed is high enough so youtube,
netflix etc automatically goes to the highest resolution immediately, data
transfered per month is the same even though the access speed goes up.

So when you go from 5 to 10 megabit/s towards the user, yes, data amount
increases, but when you go from 100 to 250 megabit/s towards the user, not
so much.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se