Any Verizon datacenter techs about?

Doug McIntyre merlyn at geeks.org
Fri Jun 26 14:26:53 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 05:04:09PM -0500, Rafael Possamai wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 1:46 PM, John Musbach <johnmusbach1 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> I'm a techie that recently moved to South Jersey for a tech job. To my
>> astonishment, I discovered that there appears to be a Verizon
>> datacenter near my house that has colocation:

> Be prepared to drop a lot of money for colocation with Verizon. Also,
> quoting process is rather long and you will have to sign a NDA most likely,
> which just makes it even more fun. For the size of your project I'd pick a
> provider that focuses on colocation for small and medium businesses and is
> easier to work with.

There was once a time we were going to colo in a VZ facility within
the same building our primary datacenter was (to receive favorable
rates on cross-connects, etc).

There was signing of NDAs, it took the better part of half a year for
build out.

Then it was announced ready to move in, and we asked the procedure to
get cross-connects from outside the facility in (really the whole
point of even getting colo there).

Oh no, you can't have a cross-connect.

Umm, the only reason we're doing this is to cross-connect to the colo.
The sales people knew this from the start, and was a key provision.
But the site manager was adamant, nothing comes in or out.

I guess VZ thought the colo was ultimately to stand alone without
talking to anybody. And they are a communications company.

Boggle.