REMINDER: LEAP SECOND

Chris Adams cma at cmadams.net
Wed Jun 24 16:33:06 UTC 2015

Once upon a time, Majdi S. Abbas <msa at latt.net> said:
> 	"Total and utter carnage" is a bit of a stretch.  Linux hosts
> that ran applications dependant on nanosleeps needed reboots.  Note
> that this wasn't an issue in 2009, because the poorly tested change in
> question hadn't yet been made to the Linux kernel.

In 2009, there was a different problem.  If the system was under
sufficient kernel-related load (such as disk I/O), the kernel's attempt
to print an informational message that a leap second had been added
caused a kernel deadlock, immediately killing the system.

I don't remember any widespread Linux-related leap second issues before
that though.
--
Chris Adams <cma at cmadams.net>