Data Center Network Monitoring with TAPs

Mel Beckman mel at beckman.org
Mon Jun 22 05:04:19 UTC 2015

Ultimately this is one of the things that SDN schemes such as OpenFlow bring a data center for free. Distributed flow statistics collection through OenFlow's extensible infrastructure gives you a huge range of reporting and analysis capabilities, with no taps needed. Every network port is in essence a tap.

Here's an interesting paper on one open source OF tool:

https://www.nas.ewi.tudelft.nl/people/Fernando/papers/MonitoringOpenFlow.pdf

 -mel beckman