REMINDER: LEAP SECOND

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 07:02:47 UTC 2015

On Sun, Jun 21, 2015 at 1:06 AM,  <Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu> wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Jun 2015 19:06:29 -0400, Jay Ashworth said:
[snip]
> I'll let the perpetrator, Richard Stallman, explain. It was a kerfluffle
> regarding whether /bin/du should use units of 1,000 or 1024.
>
> http://karmak.org/archive/2003/01/12-14-99.epl.html

It's not 1024 vs 1000;   it's  1024 vs 512.

If it's  "du" or "df";  the display is supposed to be the number of
512-Byte blocks.....

Thankfully,  the  -k  and -g options were added to display  in
Kilobyte or Gigabyte  units which are more human understandable and
familiar.

Some of the GNU utilities play fast and loose on the spec  and default
to 1024-byte blocks.

If you set POSIXLY_CORRECT  in the environment,  they will show in 512
byte blocks,  or the disk sector size in bytes,  instead,    like they
are "supposed to"

--
-JH