Whats' a good product for a high-density Wireless network setup?

Jeremy Bresley brez at brezworks.com
Sun Jun 21 04:53:58 UTC 2015

On 6/20/2015 11:32 PM, Randy Bush wrote:
>> My understanding is that the most recent NANOG had issues with clients
>> picking channels sequentially vs by signal strength. There may have
>> been other issues but when all devices use 149 because that's the
>> first they can and they get link that's not good.
>>
>> If people know of tricks to solve this when there are 600-1000 devices
>> per room i am certain the NANOG eng team would love to know about it.
> not really; they're in denial.  why did san antonio work; the only nanog
> in 4 or more which did?  why does ietf work?
>
> wireless is ugly.  few know how to deploy at scale.  it's just not easy.
>
> randy
If people are curious what Cisco does for their 3x a year Cisco Live
events (last week in San Diego there was 35TB of data transferred over
that network), there's a panel discussion about how they deploy things
and what tools they use for it.

https://www.ciscolive.com/online/connect/sessionDetail.ww?SESSION_ID=76483&backBtn=true
That's the session from Milan 2014, may require a free account to view
the slides and video.
The session from San Diego is at
https://www.ciscolive.com/online/connect/sessionDetail.ww?SESSION_ID=83806&backBtn=true
Doesn't look like they've finalized the slides and video for that
session yet though.

In Milan they deployed 325 APs across 6 controllers (3 HA pairs). From
experience at the US Live events, there's 10-15K people in the main hall
during keynotes, there's probably close to 100 APs in that room alone
with the stadium antennas for the density needed. There's a LOT of
people trying to tweet during and this year periscope the keynote speeches.

If people are interested, I know a couple of the Cisco folks tend to
lurk on this and other lists and can probably provide more details if
asked nicely.

Jeremy "TheBrez" Bresley
brez at brezworks.com