Whats' a good product for a high-density Wireless network setup?

Ray Soucy rps at maine.edu
Sat Jun 20 13:01:34 UTC 2015

Compared to the old model of just providing coverage, it's definitely
higher density.  I think the point I was trying to make is that the old
high density is the new normal, and what most on list would consider high
density is more along the lines of stadium wireless.  I wouldn't really
focus on the term too much, though.  It's just a distraction from the real
question.

The answer as always is "it depends".  Without detailed floor plans, survey
information, and information on what kind of demand users will place on the
network, there is really no way to tell you what solution will work well.

If you need to service residential areas or hostel units you might be
better off looking at some of the newer AP designs that have come out in
the last year or so targeting that application, like the Cisco 702 or the
Xirus 320.

The general design of these units is that they're both a low-power AP and a
small switch to provide residents with a few ports to plug in if they need
to.  This allows you to have one cable drop to each room instead of having
to run separate jacks for APs and wired connections.  The units are
wall-mount and if you have a challenging RF environment this design can be
really effective.

I've never run Xirrus personally, but I think they were used for the last
NANOG conference.