Ghosts in our 6 New Ubiquity Pros - provision issues.

Brielle Bruns bruns at 2mbit.com
Fri Jun 19 18:40:36 UTC 2015

On 6/19/15 12:26 PM, charles at thefnf.org wrote:
> <snipped comments about much cpe sadness>
>
>> These two issues alone have caused me major issues with the devices
>> randomly being unable to get new configurations or download firmware
>> updates.
>>

> Question. Once they have connected and are "happy", do they drop off (re
> provision) like Bob is mentioning?
> I'm still not entirely sure what is meant by "re provision". I've not
> seen it answered in the thread.

Reprovisioning with Unifi happens any time you make a configuration
change.  The next time the device does it's check-in (don't remember how
often it checks in, but its at least once a min), the UAP will get a
copy of its updated configuration, load it, then activate the changes
(and reboot if necessary).

If the device never goes out of provisioning state, then it hasn't
managed to pull its configuration or firmware properly and will likely
keep trying.

When the device is having complete connection issues, it will show up as
Disconnected rather then Provisioning in the controller.

Useful thing I've done - when a device is randomly having issues with
provisioning, I'll setup the remote syslog option in the config, and
have it remote log to my controller's syslog.  Usually, it will dump
exactly the reason why its failing the provision to syslog, making it
easier to diagnose.

>> I'm the head mod for /r/Ubiquiti, so feel free to bounce things off of
>> me privately with your Unifi setup,
>
> Didn't know that sub reddit existed. Awesome.

Its not as busy as the forums, but there's sometimes good info there.
There's also the IRC channel as well, which has a mix of users and some
Ubnt employees.

--
Brielle Bruns
http://www.sosdg.org    /     http://www.ahbl.org