OPM Data Breach - Whitehouse Petition - Help Wanted

Rich Kulawiec rsk at gsp.org
Thu Jun 18 22:40:52 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 11:00:00AM -0400, shawn wilson wrote:
> If the argument is that she should've shut down the network or parts of it
> - I wonder if anyone of you who run Internet providers would even shut down
> your email or web servers when, say, heartbleed came out - those services
> aren't even a main part of your business.

Yes, I would.  We did (at Purdue) one day in November 1988, when we knew
that we had a problem and we had very good reason to believe we were a
serious hazard to the rest of the 'net.

Confronted with a similar situation today, I would do the exact
same thing.  It is the highest duty of everyone on the 'net, whether
they're running one laptop or a 50,000-server cloud, to ensure that
their operation isn't an operational menace to everyone else.

And it is the failure of many to discharge that duty, above all others,
that is directly responsible for many of the issues we face every day.

---rsk