Is it safe to use 240.0.0.0/4

Ricky Beam jfbeam at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 00:18:23 UTC 2015

On Wed, 17 Jun 2015 18:38:32 -0400, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
> You may be confused. ARIN never possessed class E; it's held in
> reserve by IETF. As much as I enjoy a good ARIN bashing, they and John
> Curran are quite faultless here.

Quote-unquote, as in they didn't even bother *even proposing* to use Class
E space. The reasons were numerous, btw. (hardcoded restrictions,
erroneous classification as multicast, not worth the effort, etc.)

> Given how slowly IPv6 is deploying, this choice may prove to have been
> shortsighted.

I doubt it. As you said, there is A LOT of crap out there that would have
to be updated. Pulling a number out of the air, I'd guess *most* in-use
devices would NEVER see such an update. Even from companies that do still
exist. (Sadly, those are also devices that aren't going to see IPv6,
either.)