Fkiws with destination port 0 and TCP SYN flag set

Maqbool Hashim maqbool at madbull.info
Wed Jun 17 09:23:55 UTC 2015

Hi

Thanks for the response.  There are lots of different source ports all above 10,000 (e.g. 42628,42927,39050).  It is always two redhat machines generating the traffic, can't be 100% sure due to the sampling but pretty sure the capture has been running for 24 hours or so.    It is always the same destination servers and in normal operations these source and destination hosts do have a bunch of legitimate flows between them.  I was leaning towards it being a reporting artifact, but it's interesting that there are a whole set of Ack Reset packets from the destination hosts with a source port of 0 also.  Does this not indicate that it probably isn't a reporting artifact?

Maybe I need to setup collectors and span ports on all the switches involved to get to the bottom of this.  Just feeling like we need to look at *all* the packets not the sample!

Regards,

MH