Anycast provider for SMTP?

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Jun 16 20:45:02 UTC 2015

> On Jun 16, 2015, at 12:49 , Masataka Ohta <mohta at necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp> wrote:
>
> William Herrin wrote:
>
>> If you read what Joe wrote, he doesn't currently have an AS number or
>> employ BGP with his Internet providers. Extrapolate for his IPv4
>> assignment situation and the /24 announcement barrier. In an
>> IPv4-depleted world, he won't be doing anycast any time soon, even if
>> it was a sound plan.
>
> Anyone having /24 can start hosting business with 255*N anycast servers.
>
> 							Masataka Ohta

I don’t think that’s quite true… I think you will find that 254*N is probably the best theoretical Max with just a /24 and that more likely, you’ll need some hosts on that subnet that don’t necessarily provide anycast services bringing the practical limit somewhat lower. Of course, if you have what you need to do 255, you can probably actually do 256.

Owen