Anycast provider for SMTP?

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 19:54:44 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 12:34 PM, Joe Abley <jabley at hopcount.ca> wrote:
> On 15 Jun 2015, at 15:05, Dave Taht wrote:
>
>> I have been using anycast at a small scale on mesh networks, for dns,
>> primarily. Works.
>

> Many of us have been using anycast at Internet scale for DNS for a couple of
> decades. I would go further than "works" and perhaps say "necessary".

Oh, I agree.

My point was that anycast is also potentially of use in smaller
(corporate/mesh) networks, not just in DNS, but smtp as being
discussed here. Web and other forms of proxy, also. Other cases, like
gittorrent?

I'm pretty sure it's a bad idea for ntp, and for non-fully mirrored
file distribution services.

> There were some wise words written in RFC 4786 about use of anycast with
> other protocols (well, I think they are wise, but then I wrote some of
> them):

a good read.

--
Dave Täht
What will it take to vastly improve wifi for everyone?