2.4Ghz 40Mhz 802.11n wifi and Apple Macbook

Colton Conor colton.conor at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 18:17:52 UTC 2015

So assuming you live in a decent sized house/lot, should you really care
about squatting all over the entire band? I mean sure I can see my
neighbors wifi signals, but they are too weak for me to connect with them.
So wouldn't mine be just as weak at their location, so why should I care
about using the entire band? Aren't I really only using 2/3 of the band by
going to 40Mhz, leaving an entire 20Mhz wide channel free for my neighbors
AP to switch over to?

I see substantial improvements in going from 20 to 40 Mhz from smartphone's
that have 1X1 fixed antennas which is every smartphone. Going from 20 Mhz
with a max theoretical of 72.2Mbps to 40 Mhz with a max theoretical of
150Mbps is a big difference. Especially when you typically only get half of
the max theoretical speed.