AS4788 Telecom Malaysia major route leak?

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sat Jun 13 10:39:45 UTC 2015

On 12/Jun/15 22:25, Jürgen Jaritsch wrote:
> This is the official feedback:
>

> Level 3's network, alongside some other ISP's, experienced service disruptions affecting customers in Europe, Asia and multiple other markets. IP, Voice and Content Delivery Network (CDN) services were affected for Level 3. The root cause of the issue was isolated to a third party Internet Service Provider in Asia that leaked internet routes resulting in traffic being sent to a destination that could not route them, which affected IP, Voice and CDN services in multiple markets. The issue has been resolved, but the provider continues working to determine the specific root cause of the incident. At this time, customer services are restored with the exception of any that pose any possible risk to the Level 3 network. Maintaining a reliable, high-performing network for our customers is our top priority. Level 3 will continue to work with the provider to prevent a recurrence.

While I agree that TM needs to look into its operational procedures, I
think Level(3) needs to shoulder more of the blame, and not simply pass
the buck to TM.

TM has several more upstreams other than Level(3). Assuming their issue
affected all their border routers, we did not see an issue via their
other upstreams other than Level(3) - although this is conjecture on my
part.

Level(3) should have filtered at the time they were turning up TM.
Simple as that.

We all know we should never trust customers. So...

Mark.