Open letter to Level3 concerning the global routing issues on June 12th

Job Snijders job at instituut.net
Fri Jun 12 17:12:47 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jun 12, 2015 at 12:53:13PM -0300, jim deleskie wrote:
> Filtering has been a community issue since my days @ MCI being AS3561,
> often discussed not often enough acted one, I suspect the topic has come up
> at every "large" NSP I've worked at.  Frequently someone complains its
> "hard" to fix, or router X makes it hard to fix, or customer Y won;t agree,
> and not enough people stand up to force fix the issues.  I've did a preso
> on it ( while working at TATA) with some other "smart folks" but for all
> the usual reasons it died on the vine.

Next time around put up more of a fight? :-)

In all seriousness not all hope is lost: Even on the crappiest
platforms, an operator can do better then nothing with little effort.

The simplest protection mechanism of all: maximum prefix limits. If you
turn up a peer or customer, confirm with them how many routes you should
expect, add 15% and configure that.

In this day and age AS_PATH filters are still underutilized, if you
apply them on egress they are a very easy way to prevent sending routes
from your upstream to your peers, or accepting your upstreams routes
from peers/customers.

Vote with your wallet, talk to your vendors how to make your life
easier. Once example: ask Cisco to implement
https://tools.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCuq14541 ("Add "bgp enforce
ebgp-outbound-policy" knob to prevent route leaks" - this is a PR asking
that if a new neighbor is configured you don't immediatly send all
routes & accept everything).

There are actively maintained open source tools such as bgpq3 which can
help you generate filters to apply on your customer sessions: it takes 2
seconds to generate an effective IOS prefix-list for 4788:

    Vurt:~ job$ time bgpq3 -h rr.ntt.net -A AS-TMNET-CUSTOMERS | wc -l
        6884
    real    0m1.947s
    (source: https://github.com/snar/bgpq3 - can output in BIRD, XR,
    IOS, JunOS or JSON syntax)

Today there are plenty of networks which use the above techniques
successfully on a variety of devices.

Kind regards,

Job