Routing Insecurity (Re: BGP in the Washington Post)

David Mandelberg david at mandelberg.org
Thu Jun 11 19:10:22 UTC 2015

On 2015-06-11 07:30, Russ White wrote:
>> There have been suggestions that a key-per-AS is easier to manage
>> than a
>> key-per-router, like in provisioning.
>
> Two points --
>
> First, if a single person with console access leaves the company, I
> must
> roll the key for all my BGP routes, with the attendant churn, etc. I
> can't
> imagine anyone deploying such a thing.

I assume the vast majority of these cases are when the person leaves
with no indication of malicious intent. In those cases, it might be
possible to perform the key rollover with a relatively long grace period
in which both keys are valid. Wouldn't that help reduce churn?

--
David Eric Mandelberg / dseomn
http://david.mandelberg.org/