Greenfield 464XLAT (In January)

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Jun 11 18:16:30 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 1:40 PM, Nicholas Warren
<nwarren at barryelectric.com> wrote:
> I figured that duel-stack would be the way to go, but I worry that ARIN might not give us space for duel stack out of their reserved pool (https://www.arin.net/policy/nrpm.html#four10), and that this .13 of a /8 won't make it to next year.

Hi Nich,

The absolute most you can get out of that pool is a /24. The same
amount as a regular allocation at current gray market prices would
only cost $2500-$5000 (see e.g. http://www.ipv4auctions.com/). There
have been enough directed transfers at this point to expect the
process to go smoothly, though you might want to contract someone to
help walk you through it if you haven't extensively worked with ARIN
in the past. There are some fiddly bits with needs assessments and the
like where you want to make sure the words you're saying are the ones
ARIN staff expects to hear. It can be tough to walk it back if you say
the wrong thing the first time.

>From reading the ARIN PPML, I understand that the 4.10 pool is largely
untouched due to confusion (staff and registrant) on what does and
doesn't qualify. The regular free pool (not the 4.10 pool) is on its
last dregs and will not likely have any addresses come January.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us