Android (lack of) support for DHCPv6

Bruce Curtis bruce.curtis at ndsu.edu
Thu Jun 11 15:56:28 UTC 2015

  We have had IPv6 enabled on our campus network since 2008 (including wireless).  We started with SLAAC and did some experimenting with DHCPv6 PD over wireless but haven’t implemented DHCPv6 as a production service yet.

  I thought that one thing that might push us towards DHCPv6 was desk VoIP phones since current desk IP phones depend on learning lots of special or extra info via DHCP.

  Assuming that desk IP phones don’t become extinct (not a certainty) and assuming that many desk IP phones will continue to be based on Android it seems that my assumption that desk IP phones will want DHCPv6 might not be correct.

  So what do the prognosticators think?

  Will the desk IP phone vendors just add DHCPv6 to their version of Android or will they switch to other means to learn the info they now learn via DHCPv4?

---
Bruce Curtis                         bruce.curtis at ndsu.edu
Certified NetAnalyst II                701-231-8527
North Dakota State University