Greenfield 464XLAT (In January)

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 15:46:28 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 7:19 AM, Bob Evans <bob at fiberinternetcenter.com> wrote:
> Actually , there is no better audience that I know of to ask this
> question. And my information might be more marketing related and hardware
> skeptical.
>
> My IPv6 direction choice was much easier than yours. You need to figure
> out how to build an IPv4 network today from scratch in a world where the
> IPv4 bus ride seats have largely assigned.
>
> When we setup our IPv6 ability, I chose to build a native IPv6 network.
> Tunneling and translation devices left me wondering about packet flow at
> those gateway points. Aside from verbal sales assurances, I still had the
> feeling that under loads these devices would break momentarily or cause
> latency issues. For web and email services it's not a big issue. Sure
> everyone could show me a twitch game playing well or a video conference
> call, but what happens when the device is under load or attacked ? Will
> service latency be detected by a cleaver well known gamer ? One that
> points to the issue as a flaw that makes others think our network is
> unusable for all kinds of services ? Overcome issues like "this ISP forces
> you to use IPv6" ? The hardware costs can be small compared to consumer
> perceptions marketing dollars. So you might position to pitch upfront your
> new world Internet service from day one.
>
> European and Comcast has been implementing NAT 6 related things for years.
> My son made me move his connection to the smallest bandwidth DSL on ATT
> for his games. However, our Comcast has been fine perfectly for watching
> Amazon and Netflix streaming (most of the time).

I have been running across more and more and more people that are
actually doing that - using two isps - one for games and voice, and
the other for streaming and web. I had no idea how prevalent it was.
Still don't, all my evidence is anecdotal (and it all points at
bufferbloat related problems).

> Thank You
> Bob Evans
> CTO
>

>> Sincere apologies if this e-mail is inappropriate for this audience,
>> We are (going to be) a startup ISP building a new network from the ground
>> up. I was hoping I could get an opinion, or two, on how everyone feels
>> about 464XLAT. I saw what everyone was saying about it in the 'Android
>> doesn't support DHCPv6' discussion, but what about in the wireline side of
>> things? The main reason we are even considering 464XLAT as opposed to
>> dual-stack (the latter is, in my ignorant opinion, the better option.) is
>> the fear of IPv4 depletion that we think might hit ARIN between now and
>> the start of next year; causing us to pay a premium for IPv4 in the gray
>> market. So I guess the real question here would be: is our fear real, or
>> is it just bug on the wall? If our fear is real, what should we implement
>> so that our users can still get to the v4 internet, are we even thinking
>> soberly by suggesting 464XLAT?
>> Thanks,
>> - Nich

I so would not want to be a new entrant in this market. When last I
tried various ipv4 over ipv6 tunnelling methods (in nicaragua 2009) it
was very hard to get devices that could do it at all. I think common
tools I use now (like openwrt) are really far along on every possible
encapsulation method, but the state of other gear still lagging.

--
Dave Täht
What will it take to vastly improve wifi for everyone?