Nobody is looking for serious candidates

Lyndon Nerenberg lyndon at orthanc.ca
Thu Jun 11 04:31:39 UTC 2015

On Jun 10, 2015, at 8:39 PM, Stephen Satchell <list at satchell.net> wrote:

> After the phone screen, the company called me in for the face-to-face "interview".  I put the word "interview" in quotes because, for 25 minutes, the chief programmer of the place played a video game he wrote.  That was the extent of the interview!

Mmm hmm.  E.g. I spent half+ an hour being grilled on the internals and efficiencies of various regular expression library implementations.  '[a-z]' vs. '[:islower:]' or something equally irrelevant to the interview at hand, for a position creating/managing the kernel - not apps - for an email spam filtering appliance.  The second half hour devolved into a rant by the interviewer about 'volatile' in whatever was the latest version of the ANSI C standard.

You can have a lot of fun, though, by playing the interviewers.  When you discover your interest in the company is a noop, steering things into the Brazil regime can generate endless entertainment ;-)

In fact, fishing for silliness can produce plenty of results.

--lyndon