Android (lack of) support for DHCPv6

Ted Hardie ted.ietf at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 21:27:12 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 2:16 PM, Doug Barton <dougb at dougbarton.us> wrote:

> On 6/10/15 2:00 PM, Ted Hardie wrote:
>
>> Lorenzo has detailed why N=1 doesn't work for devices that need to use
>> xlat
>>

> ... and it's been well demonstrated that this is a red herring argument
> since the provider has to configure xlat for it to have any chance of
> working.
>
>  or which might want to tether other devices;
>>

> ... and this argument has been refuted by the word "bridging."

​To repeat Valdis' question:​

​And the router knows to send to the "front" address to reach the "back"
> address, how, exactly? Seems like somebody should invent a way to assign a
> prefix to the front address that it can delegate to things behind it.  :)​

​The other option would, of course, be "bridging" plus IPv6 "NAT", and I
assume you see the issues there.​

​Back to the question I asked before:  does "static" solve the stated
problems without "single"?

regards,

Ted​