Android (lack of) support for DHCPv6

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Wed Jun 10 21:23:37 UTC 2015

On 6/9/15 1:27 PM, Joel Maslak wrote:
> Agreed - apparently the solution is to implement SLAAC + DNS advertisements
> *AND* DHCPv6.  Because you need SLAAC + DNS advertisements for Android, and
> you need DHCPv6 for Windows.
>
> Am I the only one that thinks this situation is stupid?

No, you're not. Some of us have been saying that requiring RA is a bad
idea, and that adding features to it is a bad idea, for over 15 years now.

Unfortunately the anti-DHCP crowd hasn't budged, no matter how many
operators have told them that they cannot manage an IPv6 network with
the current state of the protocol.

Doug

--
I am conducting an experiment in the efficacy of PGP/MIME signatures.
This message should be signed. If it is not, or the signature does not