Android (lack of) support for DHCPv6

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 16:39:24 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 8:35 AM, Tore Anderson <tore at fud.no> wrote:
> * Lorenzo Colitti
>
>> Tethering is just one example that we know about today.

In android's case I am perpetually bemused by the fact they use
dnsmasq for tethered dhcp, and dnsmasq long ago added support for
doing smarter things with slaac, and dhcpv6. Merely upgrading that
package in the android distro would get everything needed except
dhcp-pd support into android (for which openwrt has got some decent
daemons for).

dnsmasq is not used in android for dns (which is too bad as dnssec
support was also added to it and I hope most of the bugs ironed out,
in the last 3 years), as their dns resolver is in java and is
admittedly mildly more secure if less featureful.

I am told that well over 50% of all android development comes from
volunteer developers so rather than kvetching about this it seems
plausible for an outside effort to get the needed features for
tethering and using dhcpv6-pd into it. If someone wanted to do the
work.

--
Dave Täht
What will it take to vastly improve wifi for everyone?