Routing Insecurity (Re: BGP in the Washington Post)

Sandra Murphy sandy at tislabs.com
Wed Jun 10 15:54:08 UTC 2015

There have been suggestions that a key-per-AS is easier to manage than a key-per-router, like in provisioning.

Key-per-router was brought up as providing the means to excise one misbehaving router that is in some risky sort of environment, which is a different management pain.

In terms of security, from outside the AS, you are basing your decisions on your trust in the AS in the key-per-AS case, and you are basing your decisions on your trust in the AS that certified the router in the key-per-router case.

The local operator's environment and policy rule in choosing the technique.

The draft draft-ietf-sidr-bgpsec-ops-05 says:

   A site/operator MAY use a single certificate/key in all their
   routers, one certificate/key per router, or any granularity in
   between.

--Sandy