Android (lack of) support for DHCPv6

George, Wes wesley.george at twcable.com
Wed Jun 10 13:50:28 UTC 2015

On 6/10/15, 2:32 AM, "Lorenzo Colitti" <lorenzo at colitti.com> wrote:

>I'd be happy to work with people on an Internet draft or other
>standard to define a minimum value for N, but I fear that it may not
>possible to gain consensus on that.

WG] No, I think that the document you need to write is the one that
explains why a mobile device needs multiple addresses, and make some
suggestions about the best way to support that. Your earlier response
detailing those vs how they do it in IPv4 today was the first a lot of us
have heard of that, because we're not in mobile device development and
don't necessarily understand the secret sauce involved. This is especially
true for your mention of things like WiFi calling, and all of the other
things that aren't tethering or 464xlat, since neither of those are as
universally agreed-upon as "must have" on things like enterprise networks.
I'm sure there are also use cases we haven't thought of yet, so I'm not
trying to turn this into a debate about which use cases are valid, just
observing that you might get more traction with the others.

>Asking for more addresses when the user tries to enable features such as
>tethering, waiting for the network to reply, and disabling the features if
>the network does not provide the necessary addresses does not seem like it
>would provide a good user experience.

WG] Nor does not having IPv6 at all, and being stuck behind multiple
layers of NAT, but for some reason you seem ok with that, which confuses
me greatly. The amount of collective time wasted arguing this is likely
more than enough to come up with cool ways to optimize the ask/wait/enable
function so that it doesn't translate to a bad user experience, and few
things on a mobile device are instantaneous anyway, so let's stop acting
like it's an unsolvable problem.

Thanks,

Wes

Anything below this line has been added by my company’s mail server, I
have no control over it.