Android (lack of) support for DHCPv6

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Wed Jun 10 13:04:09 UTC 2015

> On Jun 10, 2015, at 8:48 AM, Chris Adams <cma at cmadams.net> wrote:
>
> Except for the ones that don't.  Tethering is far from "just works,
> period."  VPNs, VOIP, and games are things that don't always just work
> (behind any kind of NAT).

<sarcasm>
Please don’t bring facts into a discussion about ideologies of IPv6.
</sarcasm>

I think this is the problem that many of us face when dealing with the
day-to-date operational challenges of pitching IPv6 at others, many things
break for all sorts of reasons.  Those of us fighting to enable this
technology everywhere face a number of challenges from vendors
(8 IPv6 address limits, passive-aggressive bug-fixing, etc)

My favorite vendor bug fix for IPv6 up to this point was this one:

This is a point fix for a forwarding issue in ipv6 over bundle area. It does not enable/claim support of ipv6 over bundle

So you fix a bug but don’t claim support for the bug you just fixed.  Hmm.

Either way, we need to continue to push on these sensitive areas to make things happen.

I’m waiting for folks like Apple to turn on IPv6 on their CDN, or even deliver software updates over IPv6 to mobile devices.  I suspect that would be a watershed moment as most people see huge traffic jumps on iOS release day.  (Next one is June 30th apparently).

Should be exciting.

- Jared