Android (lack of) support for DHCPv6

Tore Anderson tore at fud.no
Wed Jun 10 12:31:03 UTC 2015

* Lorenzo Colitti

> Remember, what I'm trying to do is avoid user-visible regressions
> while getting rid of NAT. Today in IPv4, tethering just works,
> period. No ifs, no buts, no requests to the network. The user turns
> it on, and it works.

*cough*

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=38563

In particular comment 105 is illuminating. Android is apparently fully
on-board with mobile carriers' desire to break tethering, even going so
far as to implement a feature whose *sole purpose* is to break
thethering.

Yet, at the same time, you refuse to implement DHCPv6 on WiFi because it
*might*, as a *side effect*, break tethering. This does not strike me
as very consistent.

If Android had instead simply refused to establish a mobile data
connection to the mobile carriers that breaks tethering, then the
refusal to implement DHCPv6 would make much more sense.

Tore