Android (lack of) support for DHCPv6

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Wed Jun 10 06:20:15 UTC 2015

On Tue, 9 Jun 2015, Jon Bane wrote:

> Isn't that the problem of the network operator?  To know and accept the
> tradeoffs for how they operate their network?  If this theory that
> DHCPv6 is going to break the world comes true, then the operators will
> adjust their methods.  Personally, I find operating a dual-stack network
> far simpler than futzing with XLAT or NAT64. It is a known configuration
> vs. a complete list of unknown gotchas in translation solutions.  Not to
> mention the added complexity on the client and the network edge.

Ok, so lets see a scenario going forward:

Android starts to support IA_NA and IA_PD. If it only gets a single IA_NA,
464XLAT and tethering (and potentially even more functionality in
the future) doesn't work.

How long do you think it'll take before we have a similar discussion here
about why Android doesn't support NAT66 to workaround those problems?

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se