Android (lack of) support for DHCPv6

Jon Bane jon at nnbfn.net
Wed Jun 10 05:24:43 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jun 9, 2015 at 9:58 PM, Lorenzo Colitti <lorenzo at colitti.com> wrote:

> Ooo, that's fun, can I play too?
>
> BGP - RFC 4271 - DRAFT STANDARD
> USM for SNMPv3 - RFC 3414 - INTERNET STANDARD

The difference being, my references were actually relevant to the
discussion and a direct response to your arguments.  Something something,
two rights and wrongs.

More importantly however, you have completely ignored, again, the solutions
that people are presenting and continuing to hold that DHCPv6 == NAT. You
are effectively saying that because YOU believe that DHCPv6 will lead to
NAT (slippery-slope falacy), that the rest of us have to accept and design
around it.  That you are more right than the rest of us about what is
appropriate for our networks and what meets our requirements.  You build a
client, not an architecture. If features are incompatible, try to innovate
in the spirit of your employer.  I want to believe that you are capable
given the position you are in, but your steadfast hold on this equation is
making that hard.

When I build something I want people to use, I tend to put in the features
they need and want so they continue to use it.  It is crystal clear here
and in the bug post, that people need DHCPv6 on WiFi. We don't need your
guiding hand to protect us from ourselves.  We need the tools to manage our
environments to meet our requirements, not yours.