Android (lack of) support for DHCPv6

A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Tue Jun 9 20:38:37 UTC 2015

Hi,

> Agreed - apparently the solution is to implement SLAAC + DNS advertisements
> *AND* DHCPv6.  Because you need SLAAC + DNS advertisements for Android, and
> you need DHCPv6 for Windows.

Windows has been dealing with SLAAC for ages...and OSX... DHCPv6 is
relatively new in that arena...

however in IPv6 your routers are sending RAs and can easily do prefix
annoucements etc anyway so SLAAC makes quite a bit of sense...allowing
the network to be more dynamic...no more having a gateway address
stuck in a DHCP config and all those statically addressed clients
needing to be changed etc.

i think we're looking at the wrong place...the issue isnt handing
out addresses.....its the large gaps in IPv6 functionality
at the edge versus whats in IPv4 space.... DHCP snooping, DAI,
ARP flood protection etc are getting pretty standard and solid...
FHS (first hop security) for IPv6 at the edge is often left wanting
(RA guard, ND/DAD protection etc)...  but hey, we could get quite
active about the lack of multicast adoption across the internet too! ;-)

alan