Android (lack of) support for DHCPv6

A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Tue Jun 9 18:53:28 UTC 2015

Hi,

> supporting DHCPv6 seems to be that mobile networks don't need it, but that
> totally ignores 802.11 which is equally important.

...and what about 802.3 for those Android boxes/systems on the wired? :-)

> I would hope we're past the religious arguments of SLAAC vs DHCPv6 but it
> seems like every time the topic comes up the entire conversation turns into
> a holy war on what method is the best.  They're both valid, and both useful.

agreed....too many times I find out that DHCPv6 is chosen as a stateful method
because they want to record/track MAC addresses like they do for DHCP.... a little
bit of explaining the protocol differences and they soon take up the SLAAC ;-)

alan