Android (lack of) support for DHCPv6

Ray Soucy rps at maine.edu
Tue Jun 9 18:20:56 UTC 2015

It really is too bad.  They're literally the only major player not on board
but claim to champion IPv6.

There is a big difference between saying that something isn't supported and
the Android position that they will NOT support DHCPv6.  To me, that's
something that shouldn't be a decision they get to make, especially when
other operating systems have already come around with DHCPv6 support.  Very
frustrating, and quite frankly an embarrassment to Google.  I really didn't
expect that kind of dismissive response out of Lorenzo but maybe I just
haven't been paying attention.

Clients should support a verity of methods and let network operators choose
the solution that fits the environment.  The whole premise for not
supporting DHCPv6 seems to be that mobile networks don't need it, but that
totally ignores 802.11 which is equally important.

Not to single out Google, on the opposite side It's equally disappointing
that Windows 10 will not support RDNSS (at least I haven't been able to
find any information on it, has anyone been able to confirm?).

I would hope we're past the religious arguments of SLAAC vs DHCPv6 but it
seems like every time the topic comes up the entire conversation turns into
a holy war on what method is the best.  They're both valid, and both useful.

--
Ray Patrick Soucy
Network Engineer

T: 207-561-3526
F: 207-561-3531

MaineREN, Maine's Research and Education Network
www.maineren.net