Android (lack of) support for DHCPv6

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 14:14:08 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jun 9, 2015 at 3:09 AM, Paul B. Henson <henson at acm.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 09, 2015 at 07:30:48AM +0100, Alan Buxey wrote:
>
>> Care to elaborate on the reasons?
>
> Heh, there's a reason I said "variety" ;). Honestly, I'm like 90% systems
> and 10% network, our network guys could probably better explain all of
> the underlying thought process. My primary task on the deployment is
> standing up the DHCPv6 servers and IPv6-enabling our operating systems
> and applications. If you look at comment #101 on the issue thread,
> that's actually from one of of network admins briefly discussing some of
> the underlying rationale.

it seems as though the large concern is: "network gear wont' hand out
resolver data"
you'll have v6 and v4 right? dual-stack would let you still get dns
services over v4 while providing v6 transport as necessary/available.

there seem to be some other largely un-numbered concerns about 'router
management' ... but I'd submit that there are quite a few dual-stack
networks out there (campus and wide-area and consumer) and we're not
seeing this sort of problems supposed.

-chris