eBay is looking for network heavies...

Sabri Berisha sabri at cluecentral.net
Tue Jun 9 03:56:15 UTC 2015

Hi,

> Certs have ruined the industry.

Certifications are great keywords for recruiters. If you're a hiring manager, why create a huge list of all routing protocols you'd like the ideal candidate to understand? Saying "I need a JNCIE with 5 years experience" is a lot easier than "the ideal candidate has an expert-level understanding of OSPF/ISIS, MPLS signaling protocols such as LDP and RSVP, BGP, IPv4/IPv6 and $vendor equipment. You get a bunch of resumes where you look for the experience needed for the position and off you go to do your phone screening.

Those who are really experts will be able to pass the certification exams without too much trouble, and those who made it through 20 bootcamps prior to taking their 6th attempt at CCIE R&S before passing are easily weed out by a quick chat on the phone.

That said, there is a constant devaluation when it comes to certifications. They start off as being very difficult and only achievable for the real experts, and then the makers get directed by the company to make them easier as too few people pass them. I was part of the development team for the IP certification track of a major telecommunications vendor. The entire team was actually surprised that people passed the professional level exams (2 required) and some even passed the expert level lab exam. They have since made it easier, after I left that company.

The same happened with JNCIE. Initially it was a two day exam. Then one had to pass the one day JNCIP-M and the one day JNCIE-M exam. And now even the JNCIP is a written exam, with the JNCIE-SP being a lot easier (so I've been told).

Anyway, out of experience I can recommend all of you looking for good network engineers to hire out of your extended network. Someone who comes recommended by someone that I respect will be on top of my list to get in for an interview.

Thanks,

Sabri
JNCIE-M/SP #261
JNCSP-SP