Android (lack of) support for DHCPv6

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Tue Jun 9 03:14:54 UTC 2015

We're in the beginning steps of bringing up IPv6 at the fairly large
university where I work. We plan to use DHCPv6 rather than SLAAC for a
variety of reasons. One of our guys recently noticed that Android has no
support for DHCPv6, and a rather odd issue thread discussing it:

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=32621

It looks like one developer simply refuses to implement it because if he
did there might be a scenario where somebody might not be able to tether
8-/? His attitude is that you have to use SLAAC and RDNSS, which we're
just not going to do. At this point I guess Android devices just won't
work with IPv6 on our network, and we'll suggest they complain to their
vendor and/or get a different phone.

I was just curious what this forum might think of that design decision
and the discussion on the issue thread.

Thanks...